Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Reflection Essay: UDL, DI, and Integrating Technology into my Classroom

From the beginning I knew that in order to integrate technology effectively it needs to be used seamlessly. Now, in reality, there will be technology malfunctions, but in the best interest of the teacher, technology needs to be purposefully implemented. There needs to be a reason that technology is used to enhance the content, not just to use technology to use it. However, my mindset about differentiated instruction has changed to an extent.
To be honest, at the beginning I had a vague understanding of what differentiated instruction was. I thought that in order to differentiate my lesson, I needed to have multiple activities going on. Through this course I have learned that it can be the same activities, but varied by readiness, interest, and learning style (Laureate Education, 2009). I do agree with the premise established in Week 1. Through the resources I have collected, I know now that differentiating my instruction is not has difficult as my original thoughts. The challenge I predict I will face as I try to implement UDL and DI into my classroom while using technology is how exactly I will accomplish it all in every lesson. After listening to teachers conversing over VoiceThread about being overwhelmed to implement it all, I know I was not the only educator with concerns. However, after learning more I know that it can be accomplished because it is easy to implement UDL and DI using technology with all their similarities with each other. I know that I have to collect more resources for differentiating instruction in a social studies classroom. For me, I believe success will come with practice and colleague assistance. Overall, I have learned more from this course than any other I have taken during my masters program. This course has in some ways supported my current theories and practices, and in others introduced me to new ideas and instructional strategies. I look forward to more practice and strengthening my curriculum based on my students’ needs.
I was able to learn about new resources for my classroom that I had never even heard of before, while collaborating with my classmates about what I wanted to integrate into my classroom and how this could be done. The social online communication has proven to help me integrate several of the resources learned about with my classmates. My 8th graders made Prezi projects about the American Revolution. The students were to research the causes and effects of the war, in addition, information about important American, British and South Carolinians during the war. The students were amazed! I also had my 7th graders use Prezi to present information they had learned during our Imperialism unit. I had students literally come up and hug me and say "thank you" for introducing Prezi to them. They were so tired of the same Powerpoint presentations. I have now integrated Prezi into how I lecture notes to my students. Instead of using PowerPoint, I now use Prezi.
Another resource I have implemented immediately in my classroom is Glogster. My students have used Glogster in several ways from presenting a regular homework assignment to presenting a research project about the American Revolution. I strongly believe that through these resources I have implemented in my classroom, I am also supporting the principles of UDL and DI.
Lastly, I have implemented Edmodo into my recent unit of study about World War I. My students like to refer to Edmodo has the “education facebook we are allowed to use at school”. I have posted various articles, websites, and computer games the students can have access to engage in the content. Edmodo is great because it is hands-on technology.
The experience of a constant weekly collaboration with my peers has tremendously helped me to expand my "toolbox" of resources for my students. Before this class I had only heard about UDL a little, and thought I knew what DI was. After this class, my eyes have been opened to UDL so much that I showed my VoiceThread presentation to my school faculty explaining how we can implement both UDL and DI at the same time. I received wonderful feedback of thanks from teachers. Overall, this online collaboration has helped me grow as a professional and integrate more useful ways of technology to help all my students learn.

Resources
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Reaching and engaging all
learners through technology. Baltimore: Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment