Sunday, May 29, 2011

Reaction to 21st Century Skills Website

After viewing the website, Partnership for 21st Century Skills, I am very impressed with the amount of information and resources that are available. I love the framework “rainbow” that is illustrated. Everything that is in the illustration is exactly what our students need to learn for success in their future. One aspect I really like about the “framework illustration” is not just how it works for students, but ways that can help teachers to be prepared to teach our students the 21st century skills. A lot of times, we as educators are told “you need to make sure your students can do this, this, and this”. Well, then teach me on how I should teach them those skills! A lot of times there is a disconnect of professional development for the teachers. One negative aspect is that I noticed under the “State Incentives”, I did not see my state listed. I wonder what it takes to have a state listed. I think overall this website is a great resource that I can use as an educator in several ways to teach my students the 21st century skills they will need to be success in the present and future.

1 comment:

  1. Great point, Amy. We may want our students to have a particular knowledge base or skills set but it is important that teachers get the professional development they need to ensure this happens.
    This is especially true, I think, in terms of preparing students with critical thinking skills and self-directedness. These components may not be explicitly addressed in curricular standards, yet they are extremely important in a 21st century world where information constantly changes.
    I enjoyed your posting.

    ReplyDelete